A good friend gave me this recipe and I make these every Christmas. Everyone loves them and says they are better than those from the bakery. They are a bit of work but are worth it.
-I’d advise against that in this recipe. You want the outside chocolate layers to be very, very firm and “crisp”. Adding any kind of shortening will make it too soft.
-This is a very friendly and homey site which is very nice. However, it would be nice to have a place just for actual recipe reviews…sometimes when you are in a hurry they are very hard to locate amongst the chit chat. Luv the recipes.
-These cookies are very good. I don`t refrigerate the layers, but wrap all three in plastic wrap and place a cutting board on top and something heavy on top of the cutting board, I leave the three layers compressed all night long, the next morning I spread the melted chocolate chips on top.When the chocolate is set I cut them in bars.I use raspberry seedless preserve between two layers, and apricot preserve between the other two.
-I am so making these for Memorial Day Thea!! Thank you so very much sweetheart!! I know this recipe is killer by the almond paste!! That’s how my best friend and her mom “Nona” made them, and they were the best cookies ever!! ♥
Thank you so much!!
Cook time: 10 Min Prep time: 2 Hr 15 Min
8 oz almond paste
3 stick butter
1 c sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp almond extract
2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
8 oz seedless raspberry preserves
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
red, green and yellow food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and line 3 10×15″ cookie sheets with either waxed paper or parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until fairly stiff but not dry. In a large bowl, grate almond paste. Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract and mix well. Combine flour, salt and baking powder and add to mixture. Beat well. Gently fold in egg whites.
3. Divide dough into three parts and color one red, one green and the other yellow. Spread batter into prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes.
4. Immediately invert one color onto 4th cookie sheet and spread with a thin layer of raspberry preserves. Invert next color on top of first and spread with preserves. Top with third color. Cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Melt chocolate chips in double boiler or microwave. Spread chocolate quickly over the top layer and top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens. Cut into small rectangles and store in an air tight container.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!